Before you start your career as a graphic designer, you should do some preparations to be successful in the professional world. After completing a designing course from a reputed institution, you should create a resume and increase your chances of getting a job.
When you apply for a job in a graphic design company, the employer goes through your resume to examine your expertise. If your resume design and educational qualification impress the employer, he will immediately call you for an interview.
Here are some resume design guidelines for newbie graphic designers.
- Design a One Page Resume- HR professionals receive hundreds of resumes every week and they don’t have the time to read every resume minutely. Therefore, design a brief, one page resume and share only the most important information.
- Give It a Unique Touch- Give your resume a personal touch and show your graphic designing skill to impress the employer. Make it colorful and give all the important educational and professional experience details. However, you must maintain a professional look and leave enough white space to help the HR professionals scan your resume quickly.
- Give Reference of Your Designs- You should give the URL of your online portfolio and personal projects. It will help the employer check your designing skills immediately.
- Print Your Resume- Sometimes a resume look beautiful in digital format, but when you print it on paper, it loses the visual appeal. Thus, you should print your resume and make the necessary adjustments to get the best result.
Some of your potential employers may download your resume from online job portals and print it in monotone format. Hence, you should take color and black & white printouts and make sure that it looks equally beautiful in both formats.
- Check Your Resume- Before sending the resume to companies; check it carefully for spelling and grammar mistake. Spelling and grammatical errors can give a negative impression to the viewers and they may think that you are not good enough to join the company. After all, if a designer can’t design a flawless portfolio, how can he design a perfect logo or business card?
A professionally designed resume helps you stand apart from other job applicants. Remember the aforementioned suggestion while designing your resume and kick start your career in graphic design industry.