Freelancing gives you freedom and flexibility, but never take your job lightly. These days, many graphic designers are offering affordable, freelance services and you should make a proper business strategy to achieve recognition in this highly competitive industry. From equipment to service promotion, you must concentrate on every aspect of promoting yourself for to become successful.
Here is why a career as a freelance graphic designer can be fun:
- No Permits and Licenses Required- Permits and licenses are primary concerns of a businessman. However, a freelancer does not need any of these to take up work. It’s just him, his computer and his talents that can see his work through and profits rising.
- No Need to Start Branding- Without a strong brand presence, its hard to gain success in any business, virtual or physical. Brand introduces a business, sets it apart from its competitors and gives its customers a reason to choose its services. However, as a freelancer, you don’t need a brand to get you projects. If you have the right marketing skills, you can hold your stead just as well as any business!
- No Money Games!- This is one of the biggest advantageous of working online as a freelancer. Employees of any company has a good amount of their hard-earned money slashed on pay-day to cover taxation rules. A freelancer does not fall under its purview. You earn what you work for.
- Work When You Can; When You Want To- If you can’t miss your favorite TV show, don’t. Freelancing gives you the flexibility to work at your own pace and when you want.
- You are Your Own Master!- Life without a nagging boss or having to deal with colleagues who can’t understand your concepts, can be liberating.
So, how should you go about promoting yourself as a freelancer?
Market Yourself- There are hundreds of freelancers out there offering a variety of graphic design services. Therefore, you should start promoting yourself to attract the right clients. Design a business card and hand it over to your potential clients at design seminars. You should also invest in PPC ads in social media sites to drive online traffic towards your portfolio website.
Invest in Equipment- Buy high quality computers, necessary designing software and laser-printer to offer quality services, both for web and print. Get a separate telephone number for your clients and buy a fax machine as well.
Identify Your Strengths and Weaknesses- You can’t be jack of all trades. So, identify what you are good at. If your’s is the kind of talent that best spells within 200px by 200 px Photoshop file, stick to creating logos or icons. Similarly, if flyer design on A4 size is your forte, project yourself as a flyer designer. Simultaneously, never stop enhancing your other designing skill.
Learn Time Management- As a freelancer, you have to handle multiple projects at the same time. Learn to keep a track of your projects and maintain a routine to manage all projects efficiently.
Create a Contract- Write a contract and include all the important terms and conditions in it. This will help you protect yourself against fraud clients or refusal of payment. Take advice from a lawyer for legal matters.
Know Your Rates- When you start as a freelancer, clients may negotiate with you about pricing. Don’t let them do that. Post a reasonable service charge on your website (a little market research is important here) and explain to your clients why you don’t compromise on service charges because you won’t compromise on quality.
Establish a Professional Image- Try creating a professional image in the market to boost your business. When you accept a project, fix a comfortable deadline and always deliver to your client on time.
Following these guidelines, you will be able to start a successful freelancing career.