Like every creative professional, a graphic designer also has to face criticism a number of times in their career. Criticism can come from anyone – a client, a fellow designer, a family member or any onlooker. A lot of designers find it hard to accept criticism in a positive and friendly fashion, but the truth is, criticism can actually help you improve. You get to know which areas need improvement. My point is, never feel bad when you are criticized. We are all criticized at some point of time. There are plenty of reasons why you shouldn’t feel bad when someone criticizes you. I have illustrated some of them below, for your help:
- Have faith in yourself: Criticism is not the end of the world. You know what you are capable of. Have a realistic idea about your skills so that you are criticized for a wrong reason, you can deal with it. Never lose faith in your own abilities.
- Keep your cool: Be nice and friendly. Sometimes when people criticize you, they start using abusive language. If it happens to you, firmly and calmly state that you are being verbally abused and the person who is criticizing you should control their tongue because it highly unprofessional to insult a professional with abusive language.
- Improve your listening skills: Good listening skills are important for success in every field. Let whoever is criticizing you talk. Do not be rude or harsh in your speech. When they finish talking, put your points across and explain why you did what you did. They may not always understand it, but substantiate your statements with proof.
- Make your point clear: When you are putting across your thoughts and opinions, be as clear as possible. If the person who is criticizing you does not understand technical jargon, talk in simple language.
- Identify the criticism: Try to understand what they are criticizing. Is there something wrong in your graphic design or has something went the other way in your stationery design? There is good criticism and bad criticism. You have to find out what you are facing. Good criticism is constructive. It motivates you whereas bad criticism only insults. If you are faced with bad criticism, stand for yourself. Firmly state the reasons why you did what you did.
- Don’t take things personally: Remember that you are not being criticized for what you are, but for what you have done. Take criticism as a feedback and move on to do what is necessary to improve the areas that need to be improved.
- Stop panicking: Sometimes clients throw unrealistic deadlines at designers. If you are in such a situation, don’t panic. Clearly state the required time for the project. You need to educate your client because clients do not understand the subtle points of designing.
- Don’t forget that you are still at liberty: I’d like to repeat what I said in the first point. Criticism is not the end of the world. Those who criticize you, may throw their ideas at you, but it doesn’t mean that you have to use those ideas. Besides, you will certainly go on to make several other designs. Understand your liberty and move on with a fresh mind.
Criticisms are commonplace in the design profession. Every graphic designer faces it. You cannot avoid it, but you can surely look at the positive side and move ahead to provide better graphic design services India.